10.25.2009

All Hallow's Eve

...kinda sounds like a feminine hygiene product for Wiccans, dunnit?

So, Halloween is around the corner + maybe you're looking for some truly creepy music to play at your party or in yr spooky-ass frontyard/haunted haus. Or just 'cuz you are a weirdo... Me too, pal. We've posted Halloween music lists here in the past, so why bother to be innovative? Yeah, me neither... so I recommend checking out the following stops on the Halloween music road-less-travelled:

Fantômas - Director's Cut
Mike Patton fronts this ensemble of fellow twisted Bay Area musicians - Dave Lombardo (Slayer), Buzz Osborne (Melvins) + Trevor Dunn (Mr. Bungle), and this release is a solid selection of film musicks, all reinterpreted by the 21st Century's bastard son of Freddie Mercury + Mel Blanc...

Here's a vid for their rendition of The Omen (Ave Satani):


And along those same lines (to me anyway... I used to get these two songs mixed up when I was a young'un), here's Botch's disturbingly beautiful + wakka-heavy take on Carl Orff's O Fortuna from Carmina Burana:


Mystic Fugu Orchestra - Zohar
John Zorn + Yamantaka Eye send you on a mind-ride to the early 20th Century. These recordings aren't particularly scary musically, but the atmosphere is rife with crackling LP surface noise that surpasses the suppressed volume of much of the music itself. Knowing the music of both Zorn + Eye, I kept expecting a blastbeat explosion at normal volume that would rupture my eardrums + melt my speakers... never happened, but somehow I still expect it every time I hear it. Like the music'll be different when I hear it this time... Or maybe the next time.

Continuing in the vein, but back a bit more to traditional-stylee scaree, here's the theme song from Suspiria by Dario Argento's favorite band, Goblin:


And here's the extra-creepy Die Rache Krieg Lied Der Assyriche by the extra-metal band Nile:

That one always scares the crap out of me... "Ia! Pazuzu" indeed.

And, finally, in the same vein (haw haw) as the Alice Cooper Band, Kiss, the Cramps, the Misfits and other "scary" bands, check out Acid Witch's full-length metal release Witchtanic Hellucinations. Here's a vid for October 31st:



And that is all, my fiends... have a hoary + hellish Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment