1.27.2009

A classic cartoon for you!

Back in the 90's, when I was managing the Penny Lane in Old Town Pasadena, CA, store owner Steve Bicksler - whose love of classic animation made my interest in the genre seem a joke - hepped me to this 1930s classic: Swing Wedding, which includes some overt drug use that I'd never noticed, even though I'd seen it many times as a kid.

A trumpet player smashes his horn, grabs one of the valves - which morphs into a needle, and then spikes right into his arm with it! Wowzers! The whole scene becomes a chaotic, drug-hazed trip before the end of the 'toon... There are caricatures of Cab Calloway, Louis Armstrong, Fats Waller, and many other then-current popular black entertainers, which would be very cool, except that they are depicted in such seemingly-racist style... Consider this an artifact of the long-bygone Golden Age of Animation...

Please enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment