1.12.2009

The 2009 iPod Worship Begins... iPodatry #1

So... the Mighty Blowhole will be posting the huge archives of movie reviews from the website starting this week. I'll try to get some done before leaving for the Skeleton Crew gig in Starkville (Thursday, 1.15 at Dave's Darkhorse Tavern, if you're gonna be in town c'mon by...).

Also in posting news, zwolf has promised to start some sort of regular posting once his current computer issues are resolved... hopefully, that'll be fairly regular - maybe even weekly... His twisto humor is worth tuning in for. Also weekly, there'll be a post of some random thoughts on the results of my iPod's shuffle songs setting while at work. Like this one...

The South's Gonna Do It Again - Charlie Daniels Band: this was the first record I ever bought with my own money, circa waaaay back in the 1970s. Name-dropping his way through the then-current southern rock scene + beatin' his fiddle like it was a red-headed stepchild, Charlie Daniels is the wrong cracka to fuck with!

Maiden's Milk - The Meat Puppets: the tune that introduced me to the three-man peyote-punk of the Meat Puppets (along with the rest of Up on the Sun + Meat Puppets I + II) back in 1987-88, courtesy of Matt Schultz, whose LP collection hepped me to a ton of killer indie-rock that year at MSU. This song always reminds me of Vince Guaraldi's Peanuts music, all Snoopy dancin' +Woodstock leavin' dotted lines in the air...

Bridges Burn - Clockhammer: I've already posted (in the F.U.C.T. review) about the rockin' scenes that peppered the Southeast back in the day; Clockhammer was one of the best of the Nashville bands, with some strangely soft-spoken + lyrical vocals over great heavy + jazzy-spastic music. They were a three-piece when I saw 'em... gotta love the power-trio!

Hit It and Pass It - Rasputin's Stash: ...wow... I had already heard one deep cut - The Devil Made Me Do It - from this band's only (?) album on the recommended 2-CD collection Superfly Soul, so when I found the LP, I jumped on it. Very funky. This is a very silly, very funky song, about what I can't be too sure...

Throw Away the Trash - The Kids of Widney High: again, wow... I remember finding out about these guys when their first CD Special Music from Special Kids came out on Rounder, mainly because Mike Patton was a fan. Widney High is a special-needs school with a very forward-thinking music department. The kids write + sing these songs; studio personnel +/or teachers handle the rest, which somehow leaves the music in the same dust-filled corner as music used in montage scenes in movies like Mannequin. The songs are unintentionally hilarious... and yes, I know... I'm going to Hell...

No comments:

Post a Comment